Sunday, April 22, 2012

thing twenty one...

I guess I never really thought about wikis as being accessible. The video from common craft showed me that it is a lot like how I use google docs, just a different method. It could be used between friends or teachers planning something, or for a class. Just like other technology we use with students, it has the potential to be cool and fun, but it also opens the door for students to use anonymous email/im style names to post something inappropriate. I don't think that's a reason not to do it, just something to be aware of. On one wiki I looked at, the teachers set up wiki rules, and posted them at the top of the page: that you were not to "access or amend any Group Page other than your own".
This is a cool map I found on a wiki shared by a classroom in the US and in Australia. The kids had heard that when flushing the toilet in the southern hemisphere, the water goes counter-clockwise (the opposite from here). So the teachers set up the wiki so the two groups could act as 21st century "pen-pals" to find out if what they heard was true~ very cool idea! The educational wikis website was a great resource to see how k12 teachers around the world use wikis. It was very inspirational!

1 comment:

  1. That is a great map! We are so "Northern Hemisphere-centric". I had never even thought about a map that would be viewed this way. I'm glad you have an open mind about wikis. I'm kind of hesitant since we are using Google Sites, but you seem to have a good handle on what you want to do with a wiki site. That's really great! I'll be interested to see how you use this.

    ReplyDelete